The International Costumers’ Guild presents special awards and recognitions for notable contributions to costuming and the costuming community.
Forrest J Ackerman
The International Costumers Guild extends to Forrest J Ackerman our highest esteem and admiration, and recognizes him as the Father of Convention Costuming, Presented on September 4, 1994 at Conadian, the 52nd World Science Fiction Convention, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.
Myrtle R Douglas
The International Costumers’ Guild recognizes Myrtle R Douglas as the Mother of Convention Costuming for making both “futuristicostumes” and wearing one of them at the first Worldcon. Thank you, Morojo, for your energy and enthusiasm for the art form, and for helping to establish convention costuming as the worldwide phenomenon we know today.
- Photo of Forrest J Ackerman and Myrtle R Douglas at 1939 Worldcon. ICG International Costumers’ Gallery.
- Photo of Forrest J Ackermann at 1939 Worldcon . ICG International Costumers’ Gallery. (note: photo is reversed)
- “Meet the Woman Who Invented Cosplay” by Jennifer Culp, May 9, 2016.
- “The First Lady of Cosplay” by Cristen Conger, August 27, 2014.
- “Myrtle R Douglas: Mother of Convention Costuming” (video), August 19, 2016.
- “Myrtle R Douglas: Mother of Convention Costuming” by Philip Gust, ICG International Costumer newsletter, Volume XV Issue 5, Sept-Oct 2016, pp 7-8.