About the ICG
The International Costumers’ Guild, Inc. (ICG) is an affiliation of amateur, hobbyist, and professional costumers dedicated to the promotion and education of costuming as an art form in all its aspects.
The ICG was formed in 1985 to bring both hobbyist and professional costumers from around the world together, and to foster local educational and social costume events. Our members include historic reenactors, professional, educational and community theatrical costumers, science fiction fans, renaissance festival participants, and all those who are interested in the making, wearing and display of costumes.
- The ICG developed Guidelines for Ensuring Fair Competition that we encourage costuming competitions to adopt.
- We also offer special recognition to international competitions that draw entrants and audiences from outside the host country, and follow the ICG’s Guidelines. Worldcon, Costume – Con, and Anime North are currently recognized as ICG international competitions.
- The ICG International Costumers’ Gallery and the Pat and Peggy Kennedy Memorial Archives preserve a large collection of photos, videos and costume-related materials from nearly seven – decades of fan costuming.
- The Marty Gear Costuming Arts and Sciences Fund provides grants for innovative projects and activities that promote the art and science of costuming, either in a specific locale or the community as a whole.
- The ICG has over 17 chapters, which cover specific geographical areas, enabling members to meet on a regular basis, trading tips, skills, and ideas. Many chapters also produce newsletters, and use social media to share information and exchange ideas.
- Special Interest Groups (SIGs) focus on a specific aspect or type of costuming, enabling members anywhere with an interest in some aspect or genre of costuming to pursue their interest and share information.
- ICG offers members a chance to interact internationally through popular social media platforms for discussion and support, and sponsors events at regional and international conventions.
- The ICG is a U.S. 501(c)(3) non-profit, educational organization in the United States of America, and offers its chapters and SIGs non-profit status under an Internal Revenue Service Group Exemption Letter program.